I'll take you to the mountains, I will take you to the sea.
I'll show you how this life became a miracle to me.
~ Dar Williams

Tuesday, November 24, 2009

20 weeks, and really? Only half-way done?

In some ways I thought the 20-week mark would never come. But in other ways, I feel like I've been pregnant for about 3 years. I'm ready to have the baby now, as in today.

Her movements have gone from faintly perceptible flutters to sleep-preventing uterus poundings. Tim can finally feel her kicking (or punching, or maybe biting) from the outside, which is exciting (for him). I have lost my ability to sleep through the night, and getting up from a reclined position is painful (round ligaments, I'm told). The baby (which Tim has started referring to as Little Emma Hanley) kicked me all through a faculty meeting today, and distracted me from paying proper attention. As though I don't have trouble enough.
So we (the parental units) have been throwing around names.

Tim's favorites: Emma, Emma Leigh, Emily, Emmaline.
My favorites: Clara, Jane, Lillian, Penny.

We've no earthly idea how to resolve this conflict, so it will probably come down to an arm wrestle. In which I get to use both hands and a pulley system.

5 comments:

  1. Oh, I <3 <3 <3 Penny, especially if it's short for Penelope (and I would call her Pen). Also, I <3 all the others. I suppose the only fair way to settle things is if we just name her Magnolia or Alysson.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with with Cami. I love all your names. Please let no one ever be pregnant for 3 years...I actually really like Magnolia and you could call her Maggie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I kind of like Scarlett, Laura. I mean, I know it wasn't on your list, but I hear the name is free. ;-)

    And I must say that Tim's are all incredibly consistent. He's a man who knows what he wants. While I have no suggestions on how to resolve such a conflict, I would like to point out that all of the names are along the same vein, which is a start! (And they're all beautiful.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been told that if I name my daughter Scarlett, she will have a cousin (maybe even a male cousin) whose name is also Scarlett. But I do like it quite a lot...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Emma Jayne would be great!

    ReplyDelete