I'll take you to the mountains, I will take you to the sea.
I'll show you how this life became a miracle to me.
~ Dar Williams

Sunday, September 27, 2009

More breaking news.

His mom: Telling Tim’s mom Michele about our news was easy. We went to her house and Tim said, “Mom, why don’t you sit down. We have something to tell you.” She said, “No,” and Tim said, “You’re going to want to sit down.” She said, “I don’t have to sit down… just say whatever you people have to say.”

Tim smiled and said, “We’re going to have a baby.” Michele’s facial expression didn’t change – not even slightly – and she said, “I know.” Tim asked her how she could possibly know, and she replied, “I just did.” We then went to dinner, and she solemnly said, “Okay, you people have to promise me one thing.” We looked at her wide-eyed, and she said, “You have to let me buy the crib. You can’t let anybody else, I get to.” Tim laughed and said that although it was a sacrifice not to be able to buy it ourselves (in a not-at-all kind of way), we would concede to allow her to purchase a crib. The truth is that it hadn’t registered with either of us that the baby would need, you know, things.

My parents: Tim and I went to Utah in August. I was really worried to tell my parents about the baby because they’ve been through a lot and I didn’t want to make their list of Life’s Most Disappointing Moments. Mike and Jill hosted a wave-running lake day at Jordan Reservoir, and my parents and Lance met us there.

Tim eventually found time to talk to my dad alone on the beach. Tim said, “I have a question I’d like to ask you. Laura and I have been talking about our future together. I’d like to marry your daughter, and I was wondering if that’s okay with you.” My dad said, “Well, Laura’s a good girl and has always been a good girl. You seem like a nice boy, so that sounds good.”

I approached them as they stood up, and my dad came and gave me a hug and kiss on the cheek while he said, “Congratulations. You’ve always been my favorite daughter, other than Cami and Karen.” He motioned for my mother to join us. He told her that we were getting married, and she gave me a hug as well.

I told Tim to go help Jonathan throw rocks in the water so I could talk to my mom alone. She said, “Well… what’s next?” I said, “We’ll get married in December. And then… (insert tears) we’ll have a baby in April.” My mom started crying and said, “Are you happy?” and I said, “Very.” She hugged me again and said, “Then I’m happy, too. I like babies.”

We called my dad over, and I told him about the (ahem) development. He said, “That’s wonderful. Wait… does this mean you’ve been messing around?” I said, “Never.” He said, “Well, how did this happen?” and my mom said, “It’s a miracle!”

We then proceeded to tell the rest of our siblings. Lance was excited, and insisted that I tell his wife, “I’m having a bastard child.” I made him call Karen to make sure she wasn’t mad. He assured me she wasn’t mad that I was pregnant, so I agreed to speak to her. It turns out that she was indeed mad; not because of the baby, but because I didn’t tell her myself and didn’t trust her to be supportive and nonjudgmental. Fair enough. I made her tell Kim and Darin, and they were also extremely nice. All that worrying for nothing.

The following are excerpts from electronic communications I’ve exchanged with family and friends on the matter:

Mike: how did that happen?
me: I think from holding hands

Julie: Laura!! I AM SO HAPPY AND EXCITED FOR YOU! That is fantastic! I am thrilled!! I have to call you soon. I can't even handle email right now.

Aleigh: You'll be a great mom. And I'm glad you've given up caffeine.
(FYI, Aleigh consumes approximately 2-4 liters of Diet Coke per diem.)

Amy: Well, I don't know if this is an inappropriate joke or not, but Tim is pretty smart. :) I mean… way to hook you, right?

Kim: You are a wonderful person and will be a great mom and wife!

Melinda: As for having a baby that's great, If you are going to find out if you are having a boy or a girl, I want to know. Will that be in December? Please let me know. I AM SO EXCITED FOR YOU!! AND I STILL LOVE YOU. I hope everything is going well, Have you been sick? Are you doing ok? Even though I am a million miles away please let me know if there is anything that I can do for you.

Michelle: Don't worry about me telling people. My level of contact with people is mostly just following blogs.

Brianne: Laura! OMG! That is seriously the best news I've heard in a long time! Congratulations. :) (can you tell I'm just so excited for you??) Oh, your man is SO lucky to have you! Does he realize just how lucky he is?

Chadene: Ok, so I have to tell you. I'm so excited I could cry! :) I'm really happy for you and Tim, and I think you guys are going to make really fantastic parents. A baby is a blessing, and you are very lucky to get to share that blessing with someone you love very much. Your little announcement has made my whole week! I can't wait to give Tim a hug! ;)

Alex: OMG congratulations!!! How pregnant are you? Have you tried those new sal-sard-tines? they're saltines that come in sardine flavor, hmm...

Erin: I'm happy to help with anything you need even BEFORE the little kid comes around. This might include: nursery decorations, talking and shopping for adorable small clothes (or big fancy dresses). I want to make sure you know I'm available w/o trying to usurp Cami's God-given role as sister. Oh, and I stole another tampon.

Karen: I know you're sick. Not much to be done there. You'll feel better soon. Eat something every two hours. Good suggestions: Applesauce, Gingerale, crackers, toast, bananas, peaches, cantaloupe, watermelon, granola bars, scrambled eggs with no salt. I'm not sure why the first two are capitalized. I guess they are special.

Sarah: im totally fine with it, la! i will love you no matter what you do ! and im so happy for you. ur going to b one of the greatest moms ever and u dont deserve to be sick!

No comments:

Post a Comment