I'll take you to the mountains, I will take you to the sea.
I'll show you how this life became a miracle to me.
~ Dar Williams

Sunday, September 27, 2009

The sick. August 19 - the rest of my life (or so it seems) (6+ weeks)

It’s happening. I woke the same as any other day, except my stomach was churning and I felt as though I was hosting a private Norovirus party. That was August 19. It has been six weeks, and the party just keeps rocking on. There have been a few short hours of relief (or maybe just distraction), but nausea has been my constant companion since that fateful morning before meeting Cami and Darin’s family at the beach on the North Shore.

This is how my day usually goes:

Variation 1: Get up, eat yogurt, wash my hair. Get out of the shower, puke, finish showering, comb my hair, puke. Go to school. Feel nauseated for the rest of the day. Eat rice and green beans for lunch, and dry toast for dinner. Go to bed feeling awful.

Variation 2: Get up, eat yogurt, shower, get dressed, puke, get in the car to go to work, puke (usually as we’re riding in stop and go traffic over the bridge leading to I-93). Feel nauseated all day, eat pasta and green beans for lunch, a grilled cheese for dinner. Go to bed feeling awful.

Sometimes I end the day in tears… I’m exhausted and losing weight because I am not getting enough nutrients, but I don’t know how to force myself to eat things when the very thought of them induces my gag reflex and sends me running for the nearest restroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment