I'll take you to the mountains, I will take you to the sea.
I'll show you how this life became a miracle to me.
~ Dar Williams

Friday, July 30, 2010

Week 5: The exodus

Tim bought Squiggles a baseball sleeper (shocking):

The last week we were in Utah, Squiggles finally grew out of her preemie clothes and into "newborn" clothes. She was a hefty 7 pounds when we left. Hurray!

My mom found my old, pink lovey blanket; it was made by my great-grandmother Annie for me a couple years before she passed away.

What a sweetie pie.


A couple days before we left for Denver, I took Squiggles to meet my good friend Amy. It was so nice to see her and talk about the terrifying aspects of being a new mother with somebody who had recently been through it.


When we took the baby out of the carseat, Amy's daughter Z smiled sweetly, held out her arms, and said, "Baby?" It was so adorable I almost handed my daughter over to an 18-month-old.


My parents kindly drove us to Denver so that we could get a cheap, direct flight to Boston (so cheap with bought the baby her own seat). One of our first orders of business was to give the baby a proper bath (since her umbilical cord finally fell off!).

Aunt Karen was gaga over the baby, and helped me out. The original idea was for her to help supervise me while giving her a bath. But... she couldn't help herself and pretty soon Squiggles was squeaky clean. It was quite cute.


I love freshly bathed babies in towels.

It was really great to spend some time with Karen. She is as careful as I am about many safety-related baby issues, and helped me feel like less of a freaked out... ummm... freak. It really was very needed.

We hadn't been in Denver long before Karen showered the baby with all kinds of presents of the make-the-baby-look-even-more-adorable variety:


I wanted to take some adorable pictures of the baby, so I put her in a basket (come on, all the pros do it). My photos didn't exactly turn out to be adorable, and the baby looked at me as though I were certifiably insane.





I came down from taking a shower and found the baby sacked out on her dad's chest.

Before the baby was born, Tim and I swore up and down that we would never allow the baby in our bed. In Denver we had to make an exception because the crib was flat and A has to sleep slightly inclined. When we put her in bed, she looked pleased as punch and immediately fell into a deep sleep.

We took the parents and the kids to the Denver zoo.


Eli (who called me "Aunt Tami" for the duration of the trip, and could not be convinced otherwise), loves bats. Loves them.

The baby responded to the nice zoo and variety of earth and sea dwellers by sleeping soundly.
But I enjoyed the animals.

The sad day came when we had to say good-bye to my parents and to Karen. Karen lent us her carseat for the flight home. I didn't know how to adjust it, so I set the baby inside and asked Karen to go fix it while I gathered some last-minute items. From the other room, I heard Karen squeal talk in a really high voice to the baby. Apparently she thought the baby looked really very tiny and adorable in the big carseat. Camera-flash sounds ensued.
Leaving Utah and Colorado was a bit heartbreaking for me. It was so nice to have my parents around to help ease me into the first few weeks of motherhood. They were so fantastic and generous, and I will be forever grateful to them (for this and of course the first 32+ years of my life).

No comments:

Post a Comment